Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's in a name?

I chose the name for this blog for a few reasons:

1) "Hi-fi," short for "high fidelity," is a term implying superior clarity of sound. Giving this title to a piece of sound equipment, for instance, indicates that the object provides minimal amounts of distortion and is capable of high quality output. Though I'm not sure I can promise that my blog posts will be of impressive quality :), the idea that hi-fi is clear and sharp resonates with me. I don't want to put ideas out here that are muddled or cloudy; though I adore shoegazer and post-punk music with all its fuzzy noise, when blogging about my life, I want to put away the distortion pedal, and to be transparent and honest. 

2) The "Pastor's Wife" part... well, I am a pastor's wife. My amazing, talented husband is a worship pastor at our church here in the best city in the world, Louisville, Kentucky. I'm still figuring out this role. I'm at turns uncomfortable with it, rebellious against it, accepting of it, and thankful for it. I'm sure many of my posts will reflect my inner confusion at how to support my husband and be a model of grace (not perfection) to our family and our church.

3) The sub-title, "Living in stereo," is a reference, again, to transparency, but also to my need to live in community. If you know anything about records, you'll know that they used to be recorded in monophonic ("mono") sound--basically, there's only one channel, one microphone, etc.--but now, most are recorded in stereophonic ("stereo") sound--two or more channels, microphones, etc. Mono recordings have a certain retro-cool sound, but when applied to life, the idea of being a solo microphone is kind of depressing. I believe we were meant to live in rich, transparent community (of "two or more"). Though it may seem monophonic, this blogging thing, because I am the only one writing, I intend it to be a stereophonic experience, with me putting my thoughts out there and you, dear reader, responding with your own thoughts and ideas (either in the comments or in your own head, doesn't matter to me).

4) Finally, the "Hi-Fi" title of the blog is simply a reference to my love for music, as well as my complete obsession with the Nick Hornby novel (and film version of) "High Fidelity."

Hopefully, this has told you a little bit about me and what I intend to create with this blog. My future posts won't be so formal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment